As a senior editor for Entangled Publishing, I acquire YA, NA, and adult across Entangled’s imprints. I love YA of all genres, and am also looking for really excellent women’s fiction, adult single-title romance, and category romance.
I do not acquire nonfiction, MG, picture books, or graphic novels. Entangled accepts submissions from agented and unagented authors.
What I’m looking for:
- High concept, big hook, fast-paced YA/NA of any genre, particularly local disaster stories or a YA Breaking Bad. Anything like The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, Dangerous Girls, or Warm Bodies
- #ownvoices manuscripts in any genre, especially those dealing with poverty, bisexuality, faith or spirituality, and intersectional diversity. I also want to see PoC and LGBTQIA+ main characters.
- Literary YA and NA with that perfect balance of character-driven, thought-provoking story and a gripping plot and concept. Think This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers or We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I’d particularly love to find a F/F romance that’s fun, sweet, and sexy, with a happily ever after.
- High stakes YA & NA romance, including taboo romance, such as The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott, Unteachable by Leah Raedar, or Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
- Charming, heartfelt YA & NA of any genre, particularly dealing with sibling relationships, careers/passions, and complex friendships, such as This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales, Open Road Summer by Emery Lord, and Everything Leads To You by Nina Lacour
- Messy, dark YA & NA of any genre. Toxic friendships, destructive romance, cult stories, unreliable narrators, unresolved endings, teens who swear and drink and want something but don’t always get it right, tough stories about teens who have to handle things we wish they didn’t. Think Sex & Violence by Carrie Mesrobian, Bleed Like Me by Christa Desir, and If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch.
Other things I love seeing: multiple points of view, third person, upper YA, involved parents, rural stories, diversity on all levels, special interest hooks, and deep, complex romance.
I’m a tough sell for:
- Addiction or eating disorder stories
- Very technology-driven sci-fi. I loved Cinder (sci-fi that’s more fairytale) and Battlestar Galactica (sci-fi that’s more survival/disaster story)
- Epic fantasy. I have loved rich, character-focused fantasy like Graceling, Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Under the Never Sky.
- Light contemporary romance– unless it has an awesome voice or gripping twist
- Paranormal, especially dreamer and shifter stories
- Portal fantasy
In adult, I’m open to every genre, as long as it includes romance. Suspense and mysteries are a favorite of mine, as well as high-concept contemporary. I love the boy next door! If you’ve got a Daryl Dixon (The Walking Dead) Detective Stephen Holder (The Killing), Tim Riggins (Friday Night Lights), or Jesse Pinkman (Breaking Bad), I want to see it.
If you have something similar to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, What Alice Forgot, A Discovery of Witches, or the TV shows The Killing, Friday Night Lights, or Battlestar Galactica, but all with a little more romance, I’m interested. If your women are Claire Underwoods, Cannie Shapiros, Lisbeth Salandars, Leslie Knopes, Joan Holloways, or Lady Mary Crawleys, I’m interested. I’m particularly looking for women’s fiction that includes romance, and hilarious or clever submissions for our Lovestruck and Bliss imprints.
And of course, since there are exceptions to everything, if you’ve got something wonderful, send it my way.
To submit to me:
Submit your MS through the Entangled Publishing submissions portal, marked attn to me, and addressed to me.
To contact me for other matters, or for agented submissions, please send to katebrauning(at)EntangledPublishing(dot)com. You may also contact me on Twitter (no pitches on social media, please).